Please have a look at our Campervan 'how to' video clip for Operating the Toilet.
The toilet in your vehicle has a cartridge underneath that catches the waste. The cartridge requires a toilet chemical to break down the waste and keep it odour free. These toilet chemicals can be purchased for $2.50 each from our branch.
We recommend you empty the toilet cartridge every 1 - 2 days (at an authorised dump point) and place a new chemical inside after emptying. The toilet cartridge is located in a lockable compartment outside the vehicle, adjacent to the bathroom. Under the toilet cartridge are wells that collect any overflow of waste.
These wells are dry and clean when you collect your vehicle from our branch. They need to also be returned this way.
There are several steps you can take to avoid any overflow of waste into these wells.
- Always make sure the toilet shutter is fully open when you use your toilet. If it is not open the waste will seep around the cartridge instead of going into your cartridge. The waste will then end up in the wells underneath.
- Always ensure the toilet shutter is fully closed when not in use. Just the motion of driving can cause waste to spill over the top outlet. This spillage will end up in the wells below.
- After emptying the toilet cartridge, ensure the cartridge is pushed in all the way, and then adjusted back so it sits flush behind the plastic lip. If the cartridge does not line up properly with the toilet shutter, waste will end up seeping around the cartridge and underneath into the wells.
- Empty the toilet every 1 – 2 days and before driving. A full cartridge will overflow through the top seals and seep around the cartridge and into the wells underneath.
- When you empty the toilet, check the wells underneath for any overflow. Wash and dry wells if there is any waste in them.
If the wells under the toilet cartridge are full, you will get overflow of waste coming into the bathroom floor area. This can be quite unpleasant for the hirer and our branch staff on return of the vehicle.
If you do not maintain the toilet during your hire and either the wells or cartridge are returned full, you will be asked to clean them or charged a $125 toilet cleaning fee.